Thursday, November 24

Do you e-book?

This year I decided I would track all the books I have read and enjoyed.  You'll see the list to the right.  I'm quite impressed with myself.   Since this is my first year of tracking, I keep forgetting to write down the books as I finish them, but I think I got most of them.

What I haven't captured are all the books I started, and hated.  I refuse to waste time on a book I don't like.  But I know people who once they open a book insist on reading it to the end, even if they are not enjoying it. Life is too short.  It's like eating bad food - no good will come of it.
  
There have been books that I've given a second, and even third chance.  The book Wicked, for instance, by Gregory Maguire.  What a great book.  But the first and second time I tried to read it - nada. Just couldn't get into it.  Third time's a charm, and I couldn't read it fast enough.  Then I read the sequel in 2 days (Son of a Witch, if you are wondering).  I understand book 3 is out there, just haven't got to it yet. 

Last year, I contemplated getting an e-reader.  But it's just not me.  I just love going to the library and browsing the stacks, bringing home a pile of new titles.  I can lose hours in the library.  I think curling up with a good e-reader is just not the same.  And you know when you are reading in bed, and you start to fall asleep, and the book whacks you in the face - just not the same with an e-reader.  

I think one of my favourite books is A Fine Balance, by Rohinton Mistry.  I read it almost 12 years ago, and I still can see the characters clearly, like I just visited with them yesterday.

I'm taking a poll - do you
a) insist on finishing every book you start (and if so, why?)
or 
b) only read what you enjoy and shut the cover on the ones you hate?

Happy page turning!

3 comments:

  1. (b) because you're right, life is too short.
    I loved a Fine Balance, too. In fact I love every novel set in India that I've read. Can I borrow Son of a Witch, or was that a library book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have finally learned to do (b) because life is too short! Books I should have closed:

    The Yiddish Policeman's Union by Michael Chabon
    Oscar and Lucinda by Peter Carey
    The Englishman's Boy by Guy Vander Haege

    They all just seemed like homework!

    I loved The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series ... I will try some of your other recommendations. Thanks Rebecca!

    ReplyDelete
  3. B) although that did not used to be true. I'm older now and less likely to follow ridiculous rules.
    Now I am most likely to read what I can stay awake to read and every once in a while a book captures me and everything else goes by the wayside until the last delicious word is read.
    One of my all time fave books was The Time Travellers Wife - I still think fondly of Henry.
    Another series I am mad for are the Allan Bradley books about Flavia de Luce young girl and intrepid sleuth. In fact I am reading his fourth book right now.

    ReplyDelete