Saturday, November 19

Project #1065 (and 66)

My favourite question (NOT) is:  Have you finished your house? 

We started building this house in November 2005.  With my amazing math skills, that would make it 6 years since we started.  I expected we would be completed at the end of 2010, but good behaviour (or the dastardly cancer if you like) put that plan aside.

So, here we sit at 6 years, about 98% complete.  It's probably less, but that's what I like to tell people.  Completion is in the eye of the householder. 

Truthfully, it's mostly finishing yet to be done.  Oh, that wasn't truthful at all, the bathrooms aren't really 'finishing' are they?   Anyhow, last weekend S did some might fine 'finishing' by closing in the electric panel housed in the pantry.  Great job job I'd say.   Take a look:


Doors closed (handles not on yet)
Hidden panel
Now, after I open my wood floor laying business, I'm going to open a tiling business (again, NOT).  Bathroom tiling moves very slow, and while I enjoy it, it's kinda messy.  Plus, I can't mix too much mortar, as it will harden before I finish.  I manage to mix about enough for one row at a time.  This is the progress of about a month (remember, we're talking weekends here): 


tiling in progress
Close up

 
What is missing from the tiling industry is a spatula.  I have no idea how you get the mortar out of the bucket with that stupid flat metal thing, yes, the trowel.  So I bought me a fancy kitchen spatula.  Things will move more quickly now.  Only took me a month to figure that out.  Did I mention I'm also grouting the tile at the town house....by finger, no trowel.  Long story. 





Project 1067 coming soon....  















Enjoy your weekend.   



p.s. isn't it the most amazing thing when the sun shines on the snow and the day is ever brighter because of it?  Hate snow, but love the light. 






2 comments:

  1. Hurry up on my bathroom already! I'm having a hard time imagining grouting an entire bathroom with your finger - what the? I'd call the whole thing finished when the masking tape comes off the windows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job on the cubby S! Would love to see some of that spatula action when we come to visit in February. Are there enough weekends between now and then to get to the top row? After years of renos I pose the question "is a house EVER finished?"

    ReplyDelete